Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Help
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Help

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto disease last year (07/07/2006) after my antibody lab results came back (ANTI-TG AB 75 IU/ML ref range 0-40 EWD, and ANTI-TPO AB 675 IU/ML ref range 0-35 EWD).doctor scanned thyroid and found  few nodules. Doc prescribed syntrhoid 25 mcg q daily. January 2007 came and I decided to stop taking my synthroid.lab values were the following for late january (T3 109 ref 60-181, Free T4 1.0 ref 0.8-1.8, TSH 4.91 ref 0.4-4.0). I stayed off my synthroid from January 2007- May 23 2007. I have recently had blood work and results demonstrate the following (T3 1.06 ref 0.72-1.70, Free T4 1.22 ref 0.80-1.90, and TSH 2.630 ref 0.400-4.000).TSH level went down once I changed my lifestyle (diet and exercise) yet my doctor wants me to get back on the synthroid (25 mcg q daily because of my diagnosis). doc states prevent the formation of a goitter.Basedon my lab values and modification in life style (lossof 30 lb), is it possible that I might have only had "Painless Thyroiditis" which resembles Hashimotos?While on the medication (Synthroid) I did experience hairloss, agitation, palpitations, dry skin.At this present time the hairloss continues.(Dermatologist diagnosed it as Telogen Affluvium, meaning it will regrow, but the underlying cause needs to be taken care off first)Whatelse coudl be done to prevent the intake of Synthroid?I wish not to be on this Hormone for the rest of ,y life if its not necessary.My doctor has not done a nodule "aspiration" test.