Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Heterogeneous Appearance

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Heterogeneous Appearance
Not sure what this means.......

Ultrasound Findings:
RT Lobe 4.4cm long x 1.5cm tv x 1.4cm ap, Left 4.5cm long x 1.4cm tv x 1.2 cm ap.  Entire thyroid gland has heterogeneous appearance. No nodules demonstrated.
The heterogeneous appearance of the thyroid gland is similar to the comparison ultrasound 3/2009.

TSH: 2.4, T4 9.3, FT4 1.09, Thyperoxidase AB 28.1, Thyroglobulin AB 40.7

Any clues for me?  I know the bloodwork is within normal limits.

THANK YOU!
The heterogeneity is most commonly due to hashimoto's but in this case the AB's appear normal.  Sometimes the ultrasound changes come before lab changes - so perhaps this is early hashimoto's or you had another type of thyroid inflammation (which is usually transient, ie thyroiditis)

Why did you have the ultrasound in 3/09 then repeated recently? the size is normal and there are no nodules.......
Thank you.

My doctor wanted to follow up. I guess they aren't sure why they don't see anything in my blood results. Story of my life borderline. LOL

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't looking like cancer.