Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Heterogeneous Appearance
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Heterogeneous Appearance

Not sure what this means.......

Ultrasound Findings:
RT Lobe 4.4cm long x 1.5cm tv x 1.4cm ap, Left 4.5cm long x 1.4cm tv x 1.2 cm ap.  Entire thyroid gland has heterogeneous appearance. No nodules demonstrated.
The heterogeneous appearance of the thyroid gland is similar to the comparison ultrasound 3/2009.

TSH: 2.4, T4 9.3, FT4 1.09, Thyperoxidase AB 28.1, Thyroglobulin AB 40.7

Any clues for me?  I know the bloodwork is within normal limits.

THANK YOU!
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
The heterogeneity is most commonly due to hashimoto's but in this case the AB's appear normal.  Sometimes the ultrasound changes come before lab changes - so perhaps this is early hashimoto's or you had another type of thyroid inflammation (which is usually transient, ie thyroiditis)

Why did you have the ultrasound in 3/09 then repeated recently? the size is normal and there are no nodules.......
2 Comments
Blank
Thank you.

My doctor wanted to follow up. I guess they aren't sure why they don't see anything in my blood results. Story of my life borderline. LOL

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't looking like cancer.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now