Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Heterogenous Thyroid
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Heterogenous Thyroid

Hi. Please forgive how basic my questions are, I am new to this. I had a thyroid ultrsound last week. After the technician finished she went out and returned with a doctor who took additional images, said my thyroid was "very heterogeneous" and that I had a few small nodules. Does this mean I have Hashi's?  I haven't heard the final report yet and was curious. In between my TSH test (slightly elevated) and my ultrasound the Hashi's anitbody test came back and I basically didn't have any ( a fraction was the result).
Is it common to have this ultrasound result and not have antibodies? Could something else be affecting the tissue and not Hashi's?  

Thank you very much, this is my last question for at least six months.
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
Heterogeneity is typical of thyroiditis and Hashimotos (chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis) is the most common type.  About 10-15% of patients with Hashimoto's have 'normal' antibodies.  So, with a slightly high TSH and a heterogeneous gland on US, this most likely is Hashi.

The other possibility is a recovery from a subacute (painful) or silent (painless) thyroiditis.  In these situations, rechecking TSH in 5-6 weeks should determine if the thyroid medication is needed -- ie, in transient thyroiditis, the TSH should normalize (0.3-3.0) and in Hashi, it may typically remain elevated.
2 Comments
Blank
A related discussion, Shrunken Heterogeneous was started.
Blank
A related discussion, normal thyroid function tests was started.
Blank
A related discussion, 1.1 cm rounded nodule in jaw area was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now