Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
High Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

High Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase

I received my lab work and I was taken back by one result.  My anti-thyroid peroxidase which (from the form) is supposed to be under 35 was 971.0 - yes - 971.0.  What does that mean?  And what should I do?  My doctor - whom I do not want to see again - says I a slightly hypo-glycemic and should eat more meat!  EAT MEAT - is that really the answer? Other numbers are: Anti-thyroglobulin = 40, T3 uptake = 34.5, Thyroxine (T4) = 5.7, T& = 2.0, TSH = 2.0.
The TPO antibody is elevated -- I would not focus on the degree of elevation, but rather the significance:  This is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis currently with normal thyroid function -- TSH of 2.0 in most cases warrants observation and treatment with thyroxine if it increases or if you have symptoms of hypothyroidism or are developing a goiter.

Reactive hypoglycemia is common -- eating more meat is not necessarily the answer, but small, frequent protein-based meals can help.
I just had a blood panel. My thyroid test, TSH was 1.77
what does that mean. Good or bad? I take 112 synthroid now.???
I went to the doctor on urging of a counselor I am seeing.  I am a 52 yr old post menopausal woman.  I was diagnosed at 31 in full blown menopause.  I have psorisis and been experiencing mood swings, chronic fatigue and achey (achy) body and depression.  I have been working on cutting out the fats, staying away from process sugar products and process flour to see if this helps my symptoms.

The doctor I saw was hesitant to do any blood work or testing suggested by my counselor to screen out potential problems.  However since my last thyroid test was high but within range she sent me to the lab for thyroid blood work.  This is what came up  Anti-thyroid peroxidase - HCCL  was 332, Ultra sensitive TSH was .72, Thyroglobulin AB - HCCL was <20 and T4 Free was .90.  She has recommended I come back every 6 months to monitor my thyroid and did not prescribe any medication.  I feel like my symptoms and tests warrant more testing but feel like the doctor kind of blew me off.  Should I be concerned and insist on more testing or referral to an Endo?
HELLO...IVE BEEN WAITING SINCE THE END OF JAN DO TO THE LACK OF FAXES ON MY DOCTORS OFFICES PART..BUT IM HAPPY I FINALLY HAVE A DATE FOR SPECIALSIT ANYWAYS MY NEW DOC HAS ASKED FOR BLOOD WORK AND I HAVE RECIEVED MY LAB NUMBERS BUT ARE UNSURE ON THE RESULTS AS MY APPOINTMENT IS NOT TIL OCT...I WAS TOLD BACK IN JAN ALSO THAT I DID HAVE HASHIMOTTOS DISEASE . COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME REST MY MIND ON MY BLOOD WORK,IM A 29 YR OLD FEMALE ...MY THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE SAY 2.14,MY FREE T4 IS 12.4 AND MY ANTITHROID PEROXIDASE AB IS 1085.O....I WOULD HAVE TO HAVE A GENERAL COMMENT ON MY RESULTS AND IF POSSIBLE TREATMENT IS REQUIRED....THANKS A MILLION ,ANG
humm i sure made a mess of my words ....what i meant to say was if you could comment on my results id sure love to hear...thanks LOL