Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
High Calcium
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

High Calcium

I'm 22... had been experiencing polydipsia and polyuria for the past few months without thinking anything of it.  Had a yearly physical with routine blood work done and calcium came back elevated at 10.4 (8.6-10.2).  Was sent for another calcium and PTH where calcium was 10.5 and PTH was normal at 20.2 (10-62).  Was then told to recheck calcium in 3 months.  Any concern that I should be checked for hyperparathyroidism?  Or is there more likely another cause?
Tags: calcium, Blood
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
At this age, there is a tendency to run slightly high calcium levels which usually normalizes by late 20's.  With the PTH of 20.2, we cannot make a diagnosis at this point.  Would recheck both in future to make sure consistent.  Would also do 24h urine calcium as high urine calcium may change the approach (and potentially explain poly/poly) - otherwise if still with poly/poly, seek endocrine evaluation for other causes
2 Comments
Blank
Had a 24-hour urine calcium which came back at 253 (35-240) with 3.7 liters.  I guess that's why I'm thirsty?  Trying to get into a endocrinologist....
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now