Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
High T3, Total...what does that mean?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

High T3, Total...what does that mean?

Hi Dr. Lupo and thank you in advance for your help.  I have Hashi/Hypo, have been taking .75mcg Synthroid that past 2 months (my TSH when dx was 6.43).  My current lab results are as follows:

T3, Total  186 High (60-181 mg/dl)
T-4, Free  1.1 (.8-1.8 mg/dl)
TSH   1.75 (.4-5.5)

My doctor told me the levels are okay.  I have some minor symptoms of HYPER (i.e., my left eye has been twitching non-stop the past month), however, my BBT has not been over 96.8 the past year.  I know some doctors don't look at BBT; not sure if you do.

I don't take anything else other than the Synthroid. (No bcp or vitamins...nothing).

Thank you again for you help.
I don't use BBT.  The eye spasms may be a sign of too much thyroid but labs look pretty good  Your could try decreasing the dose to see if this helps.  Are you on any estrogen? -- this would cause the apparent elevated Total T3
Your total T3 really isn't THAT high. But the total isn't the best lab to look at - did your doctor do (or would s/he do) a Free T3? The free test shows how much is available to be used, while the total includes T3 that isn't usable for any number of reasons. Looking at your Free T4, that looks pretty low, you're probably converting as much as you can to T3, but then not being able to use it. There are several reasons for not being able to use the thyroid hormone, including low adrenal function and low ferritin. Maybe your doctor would test those?
Thanks for your reply...I'm going to google the things you mention.  I'm not sure if the dr would run anything (though, he's real open to anything I want to try or do), but I don't want him to think I'm a hypochondriac since he told me all was well.  Sounds ridiculous, eh?

Also, I have an FSH of 3.3 and LH of 6.5...do you know much about hormones?  Thanks again.
Hi Dr. Lupo and thank you.  No, I am not taking estrogen (31yo/f) or anything else.  I only take the Synthroid on an empty stomach in the AM.

At the time of the lab draw, I asked my GP to check my hormones, too.  FSH was 3.3 and LH 6.5 (ranges below if you can help).  I have been unable to conceive the past 3 years (and I now know it's probably related to the high TSH I had).  Do you think I should ask for more hormone testing?  Estrogen/testosterone, etc?  CBC was normal.

First day of lmp 9/11...ending 9/16:

Collected: 9/27/06:

FSH 3.3 mIU/mL
Reference:
Follicular Phase: 2.5-10.2
Mid-Cycle Peak: 3.1-17.7
Luteal Phase: 1.5-9.1
Postmenopausal:23.0-116.3

LH 6.5 mIU/mL
Reference:
Follicular Phase: 1.9-12.5
Mid-Cycle Peak: 8.7-76.3
Luteal Phase: 0.5-16.9
Postmenopausal: 5.0-52.3

Prolactin: 5.0 ng/mL
Adult Females: Non-Pregnant 3.0-30.0

Thank you again; I appreciate it!
Sorry, don't know much about the sex hormones - but it's useful to know where you were in your cycle when the test was done.

Also, you mentioned eye-twitching - I have that when I'm hypo, not hyper.....When I was diagnosed with Graves (hyper), I NEVER had twitches.

am
A related discussion, Low Total T3 was started.