Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
High T4 & What does it mean?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

High T4 & What does it mean?
Hi. I'm a 23 years old male and just got some blood test results back. The doc told me my TSH = 1.12 and my T-4 Thyroxine , Total = 13.6. Everything else thoughout was normal. He told me to call a endo for more testing. However, he did not tell me why. I assume that the 13.6 is out of range considering the ceiling on the range was 12.5. Can you explain what the problem may be and should I be concerned. I plan to make an app for the endo soon. Just looking for some education before I go.

Thanks!!
Would repeat as free T4/T3 before going to an endo, these are likely to be normal given the completely normal TSH. If the free T4 is normal, with an elevated total T4 then you have increased thyroid-binding-globulin -- in men, this can be seen in states of low testosterone but also can be without reason (we call that idiopathic).  There are some inherited states of increased TBG.  You can measure TBG separately to confirm it is elevated.
A related discussion, High T4 was started.