Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
High THS and proper food

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

High THS and proper food
Hi all, I've just found out that my THS level is 7.79, my doctor wants me to do some other tests before prescripting me the medicines, but I have a question I cannot find info about:
Which foods should I avoid? And what is better to eat? Is there some basic nutritional plan?
I am  35y/o, 5'7", weight 158, gained 45 pounds for the last 4 years before checking the blood and finding where the problem is.
Don't get me wrong, I am not crazed diet-surfer, the thing is I am feeling much better and fight with the fatique and depression more efficient when I weight less. And I certainly don't want to spend the rest of my life with few RedBulls per day to keep me awake...
I will be very thankfull to everybody who'll find time to give me an advice:)
There is really no basic nutrition plan.  Extra iodine does not help.  High soy diets may cause a decrease in thyroid function.  Best to eat a balanced diet, take a multivitamin and keep your calories balanced (intake vs expenditure) to avoid weight gain.

Repeating the TSH is a good idea - the high level suggests a borderline low thyroid function.  Testing antibodies is also reasonable in this setting to see if the immune system may be attacking the thyroid (Hashimoto's).
As a long time user of Armour thyroid and a more recent researcher of things that affect it I am kind of suprised at your addition of peanuts in the list of foods to avoid.  All the others I'm familiar with but not the peanuts.  You may be suprised to hear that many of those foods are also on the no no list if you take a blood thinner.