Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
High TSH, Low Testosterone test results

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

High TSH, Low Testosterone test results

Hello. Not sure if this is the right forum (please let me know if not) I am a 43 yr. old male, fairly good health, take only OTC meds like benedryl and ibuprofen as needed but have been feeling somewhat tired, lethargic, depressed, sexual problems and not able to lose weight for a little over a year. I first attiributed this to being over-stressed, with some work-related problems and taking care of my parents (mom was diagnosed w/ lung cancer last June, dad has ms). I lost about 30 pounds before mom got sick, but hit a plateau and no matter what I did, couldn't lose anymore. When mom got sick, I had no time to go to the gym, and gained most of it back. However, I've made arrangements to get back on the diet and exercise track, and realized that no matter what I've done, I still feel tired, and can't lose the weight, still feel down. I decided to go see a doctor (hadn't been in around 5 years). Too long a story short, he ran some blood tests, and found a TSH of 6.31 and testosterone level of 161 (only general tests he ordered at the time). He says if either one or the other was off he could handle it, but since both are off, he's referring me to an endocrinologist later this month. I'm wondering what kinds of things (in general) could cause this combo of results, and what test(s) I should make sure are (or aren't done), and what questions I should get answered. Thanks for any insight you can provide.
They may be separate problems - would repeat the TSH and get antibodies, t4 and t3 to confirm if thyroid is low.  

With increased body fat the total testosterone can be low - but 161 is quite low for a young guy (43).  Repeat as a free testosterone and get pituitary hormones LH, FSH and prolactin.  

The endocrinologist will likely do all of this and perhaps additional pituitary testing - glad you were referred.
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I was referred too. Hopefully I'm on the way to getting this resolved. Kelliek - one step at a time I guess :-) Where is the forum you are refering?
Thanks for the forum info, kelliek. I'll take a look at them and once I see the endo and get some more info I might pop in and say hi. Have a very fruitful day!
A related discussion, Multiple Problems was started.