Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
High TSH,Normal T4 T3

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

High TSH,Normal T4 T3
WEnt to MD c/o hypothyroid symptoms ie, fatigue, insominia, sleepiness, brain fog, achey. lab results TSH 34.0, Free t3 & Free T4 are normal.  I had been on 150mcg of Synthroid he raised it to 200mcg.  He's going to check the TSH in 4 weeks.  Question if Synthoid is artificial T4, why increase Synthroid if T4 normal, and what is checking TSH in 4 weeks going to show, how does Synthroid effcet the TSH?  Also if T3 & T4 normal why the symptoms??
Agree with above comments.

The other thing that causes a "normal" T4 and high TSH is inconsistent synthroid dosing -- make sure you take it every day the same way.
TSH is a produced in the pituitary gland. It controls your thyroid's speed. Your TSH is high. That means that your pituitary is signaling your thyroid to work harder to have those normal T3 & T4 levels. If they increase your dosage the pituitary will be happy and will stop the high release of TSH (thyroid simulating hormone) and drop to a normal level. That will signal your thyroid to slow down and this will adjust your thyroid levels back to normal levels. In other words, the only reason your T3 & T4 are normal is that your thyroid is working really hard. With more synthroid to help the poor thing out the pituitary can stop cracking the whip by slowing down that TSH production. This causes the thyroid hormone levels to readjust. Hope this is clear enough of an explanation to help.    
if my TSH went from 1.27 to 14, is it going hyper or more hypo?
Hypo, because that means your thyroid isn't using the TSH to make T4, but just dumping it into your blood stream
I am 17 weeks pregnant.  At 14 weeks, I had a TSH, resulting in 6.2.  I was sent for another TSH, T3 and T4 almost 2 weeks later with no treatment, and the results were normal.  Is this in fact normal?  I seem to present all the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but wonder if these symptoms are simply those of pregnancy.  Should I get a second opinion?  Should I be tested again soon to ensure the levels do in fact remain normal?  Was any "harm" done by possibly having a high TSH during the first trimester, untreated?
A related discussion, Pregnant with Hypothyroid was started.
A related discussion, Normal T4, High TSH, hyperthyroid symptoms was started.
A related discussion, Thyroid abnormalties was started.
A related discussion, female hair loss, high tsh was started.
A related discussion, TSH test was started.
A related discussion, thyroid medicine necessary was started.
A related discussion, extended low TSH was started.
A related discussion, multiple thyroid nodules and chronic kidney diseas was started.