Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
High TSH but T3

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

High TSH but T3

I am 26 year old guy ,I consulted a Doctor last week with following problems.I was healthy all this years and I was facing these problems for last one year.
1)Back Pain
2)Constipation
3)Feels tired
4)Muscle pain when I work out at Gym
5)Sudden weight gain in last 1 year.
Doctor refered me for TSH test and It was observed at 7.3 which is high.Later he refered me for T3,T4 & Antibdies.Yesterday I got the results of T3 & T4 it is absolutely normal and now I am waiting for the anti body test results.
Any one help me to understand what is happening ?What if the anti body test turns to negative.What could be the reason of High TSH with all other tests results normal.
What if anti body test turns to positive?What could be the problem.
Please help me in clarifying these doubts.
Hi, when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, my TSH was only a little higher than yours ("8.3"). I also had a "T-3 Uptake" flagged low. This test was not a thyroid homone but a measurment of how well my bod was uptaking T-3 hormone. Actually, my T-3 & T-4, like yours, was in normal-range but in lower-half of normal range.
If you test positive for thyroid ABs, it is almost certainly autoimmune hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis). Other causes can be chemically caused, problems with other glands (pituitary etc..) but Hashi's is most common cause and with elevated TSH, your hypo is unlikely due to your pituitary.
When I finally did get my ABs tested, my "AntiThyroglobulin was "537" with normal range being less than 40.  My "AntiThroidPeroxidase" ABs were "84" with normal range being less than 35. This confirmed the cause of mine as Hashi's.
Even if you have a negative reading, that doesn't rule out Hashi's but a positive result will be almost certain that you do have it.
Please keep us posted when you get those results on the ABs (antibodies) back and post the results & normal ranges. Thanks.
Thanks Jim
I am still waiting for the results AB.i am in middle east on a temporary project ,here they get AB tests done at France ,so I have to wait for a week for getting the diagnosis.
How effective is treatment for Hashimoto?I understand  that treatment for Hypo is life long.
I will keep you posted on the AB result once I get that.
raj_511, Treatment success varies from person to person but with correct dose of replacement hormone, you definately feel better and have good chance of complete relief of symptoms.
I'll be interested to see your results.
Jim
I have received the anti body tests results It is pretty high at Anti-Thyroperoxydase Anti bodies 9475 KU/L (Reference Range: Less than 60 KU/L)and Anti-Thyroglobulin antibodies at 1594KUI/L(reference range:Less than 70 KUI/L)
also the doctor has concluded that i am a Hypo and I have started treatment with a dosage of 0.25 MG.
Looking forward for your comments.......