Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hives and Hashimotos

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hives and Hashimotos

I was diagnosed 4 years ago with Hashimoto's.  The doctor put me on synthroid.  I have been breaking out randomly in hives.  I went to an allergist and he said the only thing I was allergic to was dust mites.  He said that I could have autoimmune uticaria.  I am miserable and nothing is helping.  Anyone else have this problem?
Yes - autoimmune urticaria is associated with Hashi.  I have used slightly higher doses of synthroid to get TSH just below the lower range of normal and this has helped.  Also using an antihistamine (eg allegra, etc) can help.
omg... I am in the same boat. I always get told that I have poison ivy, clearly it is not. My dermatoligst was also stumped. This is very frustrating. I have found that if I keep my body temp. from changing too much, I don't get near the hives...
Mine are swelling and bumps and they go away and come back from hour to hour.  Some days I go without any, some days they are really bad.  Today for instance I have them from head to toe.  I also have a condition now called dermographism.  If I scratch the hives at all they get worse and my limbs swell.  Everywhere I scratch(softly or hard) I look like someone has taken a rake and beat me with it!  I also feel dizzy and short of breath at times.
Wow, that seems odd. I actually started to keep a journal because I couldn't keep up. About the only place that didn't have many was my face. I have always been very sensitive but not like this.. Your case seems even more odd to me. How long on your current meds?
Been on the meds for 4 years.  I have often wondered if I could be allergic to the synthroid.  My Endo doc says probably not, but really hasn't looked into it for me.  I need to start keeping a journal.
Autoimmune issues can cause hives.  I had chronic hives (urticaria) when my thyroid started failing.  I ended up on prednisone for a week to get rid of them because they had become so bad.  I then went to an allergist and they gave me Hydroxyz HCL (generic name) and it works pretty well. I used it for 6 weeks everyday, and now only use it when I feel the itching coming on. I still get them every now and then, but they are very mild now.
I started with the hives in July and suffered through my DR saying its the summer weather.  Then I saw an allergist (in september)who tested my thyroid (and other allergies) because it runs in my family, even though in May my blood work was okay.  So, I started synthroid then I went to an endocrinologist in the beginning of October.  I am still itching. I am relieved to know it isn't just me and on the other hand I am sorry you have to live with it, too.  My kids ask if I have "spots"  because they know I am easily frustrated when I constantly itch  I have days where they cover my whole body, except my face, and days where I may have only 2 or 3.  I was told the prednisone gave false TSH & antibody results, so it just me, synthroid, & antihistamines.  If someone has a good anti-itch cream let me know I need one!
My situation relates to you all. So its been 4 years now. I was very athletic and when I started breaking out it was horrible. It started behind my knees and arms. And month after month it started to spread all over my body now it happens from head to toe. It's so bad I don't want to play any kind of sport or excersize anymore. Even just when I take a hot shower or get in a hot car I break out. It is to the point that it's so bad that I get a headache, heart starts beating fast, have shortness of breath, swelling and tightness of feet, feel dizzy, feel like I'm buring up inside, and sometimes I might feel sick to the stomach. It only happens when I get hot.
Do any of you have a history of mold in your homes?  I had a rash which began on my legs for a year which the allergist could not diagnose.  It went away after the discovery of over 1,000 square feet of a toxic mold Chaetomium in my attic.  About that time I also developed an enlarged Thyroid on the left side- the same side on which I sleep and where post nasal drip would be during my sleep.  I also suffered from immunosupression, chronic cough and periperal neuropathy all items linked to toxic mold.
I stayed in a house for about a year that had mold on the walls but I didn't think anything about it. And that is when this started happening to me.
I have been miserable with hives now for 2 months.  My doc thought I was allergic to some sort of food so he sent me to a allergist and I had all the tests done.  I'm not allergic to any foods.  Then my allergists did my CBC and a TSH.  My TSH came back 111.  Then she had an ultrasound done on my thyroid.  I have a goiter with nodules on it. She said I have Hashimoto thyroidis.  She put me on 200 mcg of synthroid.  I have been on predisone for about 2 weeks with no relieve.  I hate to take showers because afterwards I itch so bad.  If anyone has any suggestions for me,  that would be great.  It helps knowing its just not me going through this ****!!!  It also makes me crabby because the itching is so frustrating.  Thanks for listening.
A related discussion, Hashimotos Thyroiditis was started.
A related discussion, Hashimoto's and Hives was started.
A related discussion, hashitmoto's and hives was started.