Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hot flashes & heat intolerence with Hashimoto's!

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hi, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's several months after having a total hysterectomy (I have no ovaries), in the fall of 2009.  Since that time I have been on thyroid hormone replacement medication (my TSH was 19 and my antibodies were 177).  I have been struggling with heat intolerence/hot flashes to the point where it is unbearable!  It seems that the more Levoxyl I take the worse my heat intolerence gets (my last TSH was 2.79) .  If my TSH is normal why am I having such horrible heat intolerence/hot flashes!! When I am having a "heat episode", my pulse starts bounding (but it does not go too high, I normally have a low pulse rate 50's-70's), and my nose will become uncongested- then I sweat.  I have been on Estrogel, and it did not make a difference, so I no longer take it. I have been to 3 endocrinologists, and none of them will take their eyes off my TSH level (my current dr. only checks my TSH level) to look me in the face and hear what I am telling them about my symptoms!! I am not going crazy, but it is upsetting to be going through this and not get any help!! Sometimes I do not take my Levoxyl (am currently on 50mcg, because I can not tolerate more), because I think it is making these symptoms worse.  Also, my vocal cords bother me sometimes when I get emotional and I raise my voice, or cry- and my nose is always congested and I am very sensitive to the things I am allergic to right now.  I had a FNA biopsy last October, and my Dr. told me it was not cancer, but the report said Hurthle cells.  I am a nurse, and I want to take care of my thyroid, but I do not know what to do anymore!!!  I have been sleeping with the bedroom window open (in the winter), and I will still have a hard time sleeping due to heat intolerance/hot flashes!!  One last thing, my blood pressure has been going up (when on the Levoxyl ), and sometimes it is around 145/95-100.  I was given Lisinopril after starting on the thyroid hormone. Can Hashimoto's be this bad!!  Please help!!!
Hurthle cells are commonly seen in FNAs in Hashimoto's.
Occassionally changing to a different brand of T4 can help.
Much of this sounds more like menopause symptoms than thyroid symptoms.  Would consider rediscussing options with your gynecologist.
A related discussion, Increasing TSH, even on Synthroid was started.