Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
How fast do goiters grow?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

How fast do goiters grow?
I was just given test results from a thyroid ultrasound, that says I have a 4cm multinodular goiter.  It started about a month and a half ago, and I can tell that it is getting bigger, because it is right where I swallow.  Last night when I layed down I was uncomfortable and could really feel it.  Could you tell me how fast these things grow?  I see an endocrinologist in a few weeks, but I am concerned.   I had a TSH test that was normal.

Thank You!!
These usually don't grow very quickly.  The most common cause of sudden growth is bleeding into a nodule or cyst -- this usually begins to shrink within 3-4 weeks.  

By "4cm multinodular goiter" did you mean that the largest nodule was 4cm or the overall size of the thyroid (or one lobe of it) was 4cm?  

A biopsy (FNA) will likely be necessary, but if it continues to grow and cause pressure symptoms, then surgery may be necessary as well.