Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
How long does it take for RAI to work?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

How long does it take for RAI to work?

I was diagnosed with a thyroid disfunction in March of 2004, although I suspect I have been hyperthyroid for much longer.  I decided to have RAI because after 10 months on meds I was still not balanced and I want to have more children.  I am NOT Graves, I believe my diagnosis was toxic multinodule goiter or Plummer's Disease.  I had RAI on April 19th of this year.  My TSH was originally at 3.6 and I am now down to 2.? after 9 weeks.  I asked my doc what happens if after 3 months I am not better.  She looked shocked and said that she had never had anyone not swing low after RAI.  How long should it take for me to begin feeling better?  I was feeling so lousy that I convinced my doc to let me take a little PTU (100mg/day) for awhile until I crashed.  She also told me I should go and see an eye doc to rule out TED.  Does anyone know if it is likely that I will have to do RAI again?  I know that Plummer's is more resistant to RAI than Graves, and even though they gave me a higher doseage, I don't know if it was high enough.  Can anyone help me???