Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hyperactive thyroid nodule and weight gain

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I am a 26 year old female, who leads a fairly healthy lifestyle. I do not overeat, or snack very often. I have a healthy diet, with a lot of vegetables and protein, and very small portions of carbs.

About 2 years ago I started gaining weight. I was about 120lbs. Around this time I also started getting hives. I am now 150lbs. tired all the time, somewhat sensitive to cold, constipation... and cannot figure out why I am gaining weight. I walk briskly 20-40 minutes a day. I had blood taken 4 times by my doctor over the past year and a half, and thyroid levels were on the low end, but still somewhat normal. The last time I went, she felt my thyroid gland for the first time and found a lump.

I had an ultrasound and then I went to a specialist, he felt the lump and told me it was most likely non cancerous. I went for a radioactive scan and the doctor at the hospital said its a hot, most likely over-active nodule (approx 2.5cm)

If the nodule is hyperactive, why am I gaining weight and exhibiting mild symptoms of hypothyroidism? I've read that an overactive nodule can cause the rest of the gland to be underactive, but there isn't a lot of information on the internet about this. Help!

key is to test blood for thyroid function -- if this is hyperthyroid, then it's from the 'hot' nodule -- with a hot nodule, it is unlikely to be hypothyroidism -- the rest of the gland is suppressed but the thyroid function overall is high due to the nodule over-acting.

most often, weight gain has little to do with thyroid function.

if you are hyperthyroid by labs, this may need treatment.
I had the same problem and had the weight gain.  I gained a little over 15 pounds in a year.

I asked my doctor about it and he didn't seem to be too concerned with it.  Because of being tired, my activity level had dropped dramatically.  So even if you are walking 20-40 minutes a day, you may not be as active as you once were.
A related discussion, Hey was started.