Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hyperactive thyroid treatments

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hyperactive thyroid treatments
I've recently been diagnosed with Graves Disease. I'm a 33 year old woman, who's never had children. My doctor has started me on 5mg of Inderal (beta blocker) twice a day. I've been researching hyperactive thyroid treatments and I've yet to see a beta blocker as the recommended course of treatment. Has anyone else had their Dr. prescribe a beta blocker for their hyperactive thyroid?
Yes they put me on a beta blocker because of my heart palps, I was on a bum load of meds for a yr trying to get everything calmed down. It worked until I stoped my meds. I ended up getting Radio Iodine. I also went to the Drs for monthy checkups.
The purpose of treatment is to control the overactivity of the thyroid gland. Beta-blockers such as propranolol are often used to treat symptoms of rapid heart rate, sweating, and anxiety until the hyperthyroidism is controlled. Hyperthyroidism is treated with antithyroid medications, radioactive iodine or surgery.

This site is helpful.

http://www.ngdf.org/
http://bb.ngdf.org/faq.htm
LOL ok ok this is the last one. See how bored I am today.
This will give you a list of all the sites to do with graves and beta blockers.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2004-33%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=graves+disease+beta+blocker
I promise I am done...
I for the life of me do not know why they would not have you on some form of thyroid medicine. Did you ask your doctor why the beta blocker? The only thing I could think is that you were having heart palps, which is common with thyroid, but that will not treat the actual thyroid condition. The thyroid meds would help with the heart palps and you would not need a beta blocker.
A related discussion, Hyperthyroidism was started.
A related discussion, Thyroid was started.
A related discussion, Radio active iodine treatment was started.