Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hypercalcemia and low vitamin D levels

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hypercalcemia and low vitamin D levels

Hi...I've been struggling with health problems for a little over 4 months now...It all started with a weird dizzy feeling in my head and now has progressed into 24/7 burning eyes, my lower back burning, my bones/joints/muscles aching frequently, weird bowel movement colors, teeth hurting, and just fatigue in general...All my blood tests have come back normal in terms of cbc, wbc, rbc and most other things...However recently after my gastro tested my calcium levels they came back at 10.6 and 10.7 consecutively...3 months before that I see my calcium was 10.1...I know the range is up to 10.3 so i know its not THAT high over but then I was recently tested for Vitamin D levels in my blood which came back at 20 which is well below the 30-100 level of normality...My doctor who is an integrative physician using both holistic and traditional medicine gave me d2/d3 pills to take, as well as cortisol medication to regulate my cortisol levels and one other one for upping my testosterone levels which were lowish and downing my estrogen levels which were high...My concern is that I read somewhere that the hypercalcemia i am experiencing to a low degree can be a sign of hyperparathyroidism...and that my body is keeping my vitamin d levels low to actually help me not absorb calcium into my bones because of this...I am going to speak to the doctor when he's in next which is in a few days but until then i'm not going to take the supplements he gave me...this doctor didn't test for hypercalcemia and i forgot to mention to him that my levels were high...Does anyone have any information or insight into this? And is the best type of doctor to see for this infectious diseases or endo?

thanks,

j
Calcium levels like this (mid 10's) and low vitamin D = primary hyperparathyroidism (in most cases).  Would see an endocrinologist to confirm the diagnosis.  Would need labs for calcium and PTH (parathyroid hormone) to make the diagnosis.  Then ultrasound to evaluate structure of thyroid and parathyroids.
I just looked at my last blood test and my calcium was 10.6, PTH was 14.9 and my vitamin D is like 20...Also my ionized CA was like 5...So do you still think this is hyperparathyroidism even though my PTH is completely normal if not even low?
I had a totally NORMAL PTH level, high blood calcium, 10.5 up to 10.9, high ionizied calcium, and low vit. D also, and I had 2 parathyroid adenomas. I had lots of the same symptoms as you.  I had this for several years, then changed Dr's, who saw the high blood calcium, and sent me to a Endocrinololgist, who ran lots of tests, did all the scans, and finally a MRI picked up the tumors. Its been 8 weeks since my surgery, and blood calcium is NORMAL, and my muscles are beginning to strengthen, my body feels so much better, the brain fog is gone, and except for fatigue, I can't believe how much better I feel. Because the Dr. I had previously let it go, I had a 17% bone loss, and now I have osteoporosis.  Don't let this go on, get to a Endocrinologist!!!  Hope this helps, Bella1950
I also had the high calcium levels with normal PTH and low Vitamin D.  You can go back and read my posts and see the PTH levels.  I even had one test for PTH come back at 12.4 and one at 8!  The highest i ever had was 33.  I was tested TWICE for cancer.  My Vitamin D levels started at 19.9 and even taking 100,000IU Vitamin D weekly, my level never stayed in range.  My calcium level was normally 10.5-10.8 but I had a couple readings 9.9 and when taking all the Vitamin D it went as high as 11.4!  BE CAREFUL taking Vitamin D.  I had surgery in Tampa three months ago and had TWO parathyroid adenomas removed.  Dr. Norman was the ONLY doctor willing to diagnose me.  Thank goodness I self referred to Tampa.  Like Bella, I am feeling so much better and continue to improve every day. It is the high CALCIUM that causes the symptoms...........
I have an appointment with an endocrinologist next Tuesday...I really appreciate all your guys responses and help regarding these issues...I'm so scared and keep freaking myself out that when I look at my blood tests my calcium is 10.6 and PTH is like 14 that I have some horrible type of cancer even though all my CBC, WBC, and mainly every other blood test is normal...I literally couldn't sleep last night cause I was basically having a 3 hour panic attack thinking about it...I really hope you're all right and its "just" my parathyroid...Please pray for me thank you again.
just out of curiosity also...did either of you get any little red pin ***** dots pop up on your arms or legs?
I just heard back from my endocrinologist and now my calcium level is at 11.1 ... so its steadily risen from 10.1 to 10.4 to 10.6 to 11.1 now and my PTH is on the low side of normal...So he doesn't think its PTH related...Now he's sending me for a bunch of more blood tests and put me on 50,000 iu of vitamin d twice weekly...i'm really nervous now that its something much worse then PTH...do i have a right to be?
A related discussion, Low Vitamin D was started.