Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hyperparathyrodism

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hyperparathyrodism

Calcium level 10.8
PTH 19.7
Ionized calcium 1.29
Vitamin D 16  Took prescription 10,000 IUs for 6 weeks
24 hour urine 375

Calcium level 10.6
PTH 34
Ionized calcium 1.29
Vitamin D 58.6  

Scan showed nothing, Endocronologist and Surgeon said that happens in 20% of cases.  I am scheduled for surgery next month.  Is this primary hyperthyroidism.  I took I31 7 years ago for graves disease. T trust my doctors but still have alittle uncertainty.  Please let me know your opinion.  Thank you
This sounds like primary hyperparathyroidism.  The diagnosis is based on the high calcium level with a low vitamin D and a normal PTH.  The 24-hour urine calcium is also high.  The I-131 therapy in the past may increase the risk of developing a parathyroid overactivity.  It sounds like you're on the right track to consider surgery, the key is to make sure you have a surgeon who does a lot of parathyroid surgery.  Pre-operative ultrasound may also be helpful if the scan did not show the source (which is not uncommon.).
I had parathyroidetomy last week. Surgeon said all 4 glands were hyper removed 3 1/2 I know this is rare  he mentioned multiple endocrine neoplasm syndrome.  Is this MEN 1 and should I be tested for it. I have children and graves. See endocrinologist this week. Thank you
Hi, sorry to hears out your experience...I too, went un DX'd for 30 years. I was on50,000 ICU' of Vit. D for the past 5 years...sorry to say that did not lower my PTH . It only continued to increase. I saw a really stupid endochronologist who said there was nothing wrong, so I tell people toget another option . I n any case, I am meeting with the endo surgeon this Friday ,feb 1. I 'm scared to death. I don't know what to expect, they are taking out at least I lobe. There will also be a biopsy, think of me girlfriend,as I am thinking of you. Please respond so if I find out something I'll  be  able to tell you. Keep the faith! Keep in touch. Boo2express