Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hyperparathyrodism
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hyperparathyrodism

Calcium level 10.8
PTH 19.7
Ionized calcium 1.29
Vitamin D 16  Took prescription 10,000 IUs for 6 weeks
24 hour urine 375

Calcium level 10.6
PTH 34
Ionized calcium 1.29
Vitamin D 58.6  

Scan showed nothing, Endocronologist and Surgeon said that happens in 20% of cases.  I am scheduled for surgery next month.  Is this primary hyperthyroidism.  I took I31 7 years ago for graves disease. T trust my doctors but still have alittle uncertainty.  Please let me know your opinion.  Thank you
97953_tn?1193367871
This sounds like primary hyperparathyroidism.  The diagnosis is based on the high calcium level with a low vitamin D and a normal PTH.  The 24-hour urine calcium is also high.  The I-131 therapy in the past may increase the risk of developing a parathyroid overactivity.  It sounds like you're on the right track to consider surgery, the key is to make sure you have a surgeon who does a lot of parathyroid surgery.  Pre-operative ultrasound may also be helpful if the scan did not show the source (which is not uncommon.).
3 Comments
Blank
I had parathyroidetomy last week. Surgeon said all 4 glands were hyper removed 3 1/2 I know this is rare  he mentioned multiple endocrine neoplasm syndrome.  Is this MEN 1 and should I be tested for it. I have children and graves. See endocrinologist this week. Thank you
Blank
Hi, sorry to hears out your experience...I too, went un DX'd for 30 years. I was on50,000 ICU' of Vit. D for the past 5 years...sorry to say that did not lower my PTH . It only continued to increase. I saw a really stupid endochronologist who said there was nothing wrong, so I tell people toget another option . I n any case, I am meeting with the endo surgeon this Friday ,feb 1. I 'm scared to death. I don't know what to expect, they are taking out at least I lobe. There will also be a biopsy, think of me girlfriend,as I am thinking of you. Please respond so if I find out something I'll  be  able to tell you. Keep the faith! Keep in touch. Boo2express
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now