Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hyperthyroid and Levothyroxine

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hyperthyroid and Levothyroxine
Dear Dr. Lupo:

I had RAI for my Graves' disease and a month later my blood work came back as follows: TSH: < 0.01 and T3: (ng/dL): 69 and FT4: 0.7. My doctor has prescribed 75MCG of Levothyroxine (Levoxy) daily. Why would my doctor prescribe hormone replacement when my thyroid remains overactive? Isn't it best to wait until my thyroid becomes underactive?
your doctor is doing the tight thing - the T3 and T4 are lowish - it takes longer for the TSH to begin to rise.  If the doc waits until the TSH is high, then the hypothyroidism is often very severe.