Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hyperthyroid in 4 year old?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hyperthyroid in 4 year old?

Greetings.  I was wondering how common hyperthyroidism is in young children.  My oldest daughter who just turned 4 was born a normal weight (7lbs13oz).  At 5 months old, she was diagnosed with RSV and for some reason, decided to quit growing. She dropped from the 50th percentile to < the 3rd in 1 month. She weighed approximately 16 pounds at 1 year of age.  At 4 years old, she now weighs 31 pounds.  This child has the metabolism of a hummingbird.  She is ALWAYS hungry.  Even though she is always eating, she never gains weight and she's been like this for quite awhile.  From the time she wakes up in the morning, she goes and goes and goes (energy-wise) and doesn't stop until she crashes at night. The reason I'm asking about it now, is because for the last few months, the only way she'll sleep is in nothing but her panties, in the floor, next to the air conditioning vent with no blanket on.  If she does fall asleep in her bed, she wakes up drenched in sweat and bright pink like she's been in the heat all day.

She has her 4 year old appointment next week.  Would it be behooving to us to have her thyroid function tested?  Her symptoms to me sound like an adult with hyperthyroidism, but I'm not as well versed in pediatric endocrine.
It is worth asking the pediatrician about this.  I don't see children but would imagine they could do thyroid labs if checking other labs.