Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hyperthyroidism and Alternative Medicine
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hyperthyroidism and Alternative Medicine

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism with graves disease, the TSH less than .01 and too much of T4 an T3. Am on the Tapazole 5mg/3x daily (for just two weeks so far).  The Endocrin wants to do radioactive iodine treatments. The surgeon wants to do surgery.  I do have a large goiter. I did alot of research and read in medical articles that some forms of cancer do occur using radioactive iodine treatments.  I found out (also being diagnosed with having Autoimmune Disease) that there is a Dr. Drucker that wrote The Code of Life on Autoimmune Disorders.  There is a Digestaqure that has concentrated immune modulating agents and healing components.  Would it hurt to try this approach (taking proper dosages daily) and finding out in 30-60 days if there is a change in my blood work? I've already hadd 10 surgeries, not looking forward to another.  Thank you sooo much doctor...
97953 tn?1440868992
I have no experience with this and there is not published data that is convincing for alternative treatments for hyperthyroidism.  One exception may be selenium 200mcg/day but this does not replace the need for other treatment.  However, unless there is a large goiter that is causing compressive symptoms, a trial of tapazole for a year (or more) may be preferable over up-front definitive treatment w/ I-131 or surgery.  If you decide on surgery, would make sure the surgeon performs at least 30 thyroidectomies per year and has experience w/ Graves. If I-131, make sure you don't have eye involvement (as this can worsend after I-131).  If you smoke, stop.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703