Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hyperthyroidism and Alternative Medicine

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism with graves disease, the TSH less than .01 and too much of T4 an T3. Am on the Tapazole 5mg/3x daily (for just two weeks so far).  The Endocrin wants to do radioactive iodine treatments. The surgeon wants to do surgery.  I do have a large goiter. I did alot of research and read in medical articles that some forms of cancer do occur using radioactive iodine treatments.  I found out (also being diagnosed with having Autoimmune Disease) that there is a Dr. Drucker that wrote The Code of Life on Autoimmune Disorders.  There is a Digestaqure that has concentrated immune modulating agents and healing components.  Would it hurt to try this approach (taking proper dosages daily) and finding out in 30-60 days if there is a change in my blood work? I've already hadd 10 surgeries, not looking forward to another.  Thank you sooo much doctor...
I have no experience with this and there is not published data that is convincing for alternative treatments for hyperthyroidism.  One exception may be selenium 200mcg/day but this does not replace the need for other treatment.  However, unless there is a large goiter that is causing compressive symptoms, a trial of tapazole for a year (or more) may be preferable over up-front definitive treatment w/ I-131 or surgery.  If you decide on surgery, would make sure the surgeon performs at least 30 thyroidectomies per year and has experience w/ Graves. If I-131, make sure you don't have eye involvement (as this can worsend after I-131).  If you smoke, stop.