Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hyperthyroidism cont. to Dr. Lupo

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hyperthyroidism cont. to Dr. Lupo
I thank you for your quick response and was wondering if the tapazole will affect my liver over time, as my blood work showed higher liver counts (I realize the higher numbers are from the hyper). My medical insurance could run out in 6 months as well.  I have to take this into consideration. I read that tapazole will only help with the symptoms and not the underlying cause. I have a history of hyperparathyroidism (kidney stones with surgeries) and the hyperthyroidism. Even with tapazole, an individual with hyper still has frequent bowel movements and must eat all the time to keep their weight up. I'm at 125 lbs. and am 5'8. Is this what I have to look forward to with being on tapazole?  Thank  you for your time,   Tamara
If you have hyperthyroidism and hyperparathyroidism - consider surgery for both (by an expert surgeon) to correct at same time as hyperpara must be treated surgically anyway.  Tapazole can impact the liver, but this is rare.
Thank you so much for your help