Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hyperthyroidism despite 'normal' lab results

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I have been feeling bad for a long time.  Most recently my heart has started racing out of the blue for no reason.  This ended with lots of lab tests and me being sent to a cardiologist.  As I talk to people, several have said it sounded like it was a thyroid problem, so I decided to look into it on my own.  I all ready have one autoimmune disease (antiphosholipid syndrome...my blood clots too much.)
I went to my doctor today and got my recent lab results to take to the cardiologist tomorrow.
Sure enough, my levels were within "normal" range, but from what I can tell...they are low in one place, high in the other and that seems to line up with hyperthyroidism and matches my symptoms (fast heart rate, can't gain weight to save my life, fatigue, etc.)  I have felt bad for a year and it is getting worse.  This is the first time I wisened up to demanding a copy of my lab results so I can see for myself.
TSH=.580
Total T3=166.44
T4=8.2
T=Uptake=27.20

So my question, assuming the cardiologist finds nothing wrong with my heart ultrasound tomorrow....is it reasonable to tell him that I think this could be a problem and want to be treated for hyperthyroidism despite the "normal" results?  Would a cardiologist even have a clue about this or should I demand to be referred elsewhere?
I just want to feel better, and not have another doctor tell me "well your lab results are normal" (in other words, you must be imagining it because you are only 30!)
Thanks a lot!
Bethany

I have the same problem and posted the same question.  Mr doctor feels that if my thyroid levels are normal then I shouldn't be having the syptoms (symptoms) of fast heart rate etc.  I went to the cardiologist and had an echo stress test (normal) holter monitor (normal) and event monitor (caught fast heart rate but sinus rythm was normal).  I have been on a bet blocker for the fast heart rate but am trying to wean off of them.  I have heard from Dr Mark on this forum as well as a pulmonologist that I just recently saw, that my meds. for the hyperthyroid could be causing the problems I have.  I am now waiting to hear back from the pulmonary doc. about some lab work and what to do next.
Hi there,

It's important to keep copies of all your tests. Now, it's ok to mention it to your cardiologist, however, the specialist indicated for thyroid problems is an endocrinologist and will be the one trained to treat you if you do have thyroid disease. In this forum, we read about cases where people with normal blood test still have the disease. An endocrinologist will be able to do different tests (antibodies for example) to try to rule out this possibility.

Good luck
Just for you information the T3 Uptake is not a thyroid test. The T3 Uptake is a test on the proteins that carry thyroid around in your blood stream. A high test number may indicate a low level of protein. This test is uses to compute in the Free Thyroxine index (FT1or F7) which only estimates the Free thyroxine. Not exact. A Free T4 measures the Free T4 in the blood ratherthan estimating it and it is a lot more reliable.

I to recently had a T4 and T3uptake they ran it without telling me what tests they were running. (tests were in normalrange).                                                     After I found out I was furious
and let them know it. I asked why they didn't just run a Free T4 and their anwser was because it was more expensive, my reply was that it was a redundant test and that I would end up having to get a Free T4 anyways and then end up having to pay double. And guess what happened I went in for a Free T4 and antibodies test today. Just try to learn a little about the tests they are giving you. I will help in the long run.

Bonnie
A related discussion, Anyone had a TRH stimulation test? was started.