Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hypothyroid and Diabetes
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hypothyroid and Diabetes

Some history:  I was diagnosed with Diabetes about 3 years ago and diagnosed with Hypothyroid about 3 months ago and placed on synthroid.  Can anyone tell me how to find out how the two relate to one another?  I continue to gain more weight and blood sugar levels not getting to where they need to be even though I am exercising daily (at least 30 minutes circuit training in the morning then walking or tennis in the evening) And eating very healthy.  I am still cotinually exhausted especially in the middle of the day, the only symptoms that seem to have improved are the depression somewhat, and the cold intolerance.  Is this because of the combintation of diabetes or is this my life forever?  

Thanks for any help.
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
they are both auto-immune diseases.  Have adrenals checked as well and make sure the TSH is regulated to about 1.0 with meds.
2 Comments
Blank
If we have one autoimmune disease we are prone to other autoimmune diseases. And as many as our immune system wants to give us and as many simultaneously.
Hypo Hashi (as well as Graves' Disease) and Type 1 diabetes are autoimmune diseases. There is a link between autoimmune thyroid disorders and Type 1 diabetes because both diseases involve the endocrine system. Thyroid disorders can have a significant effect on blood glucose levels, in which an overactive thyroid may increase insulin requirements, while an underactive thyroid can decrease insulin requirements.  There also appears to be a higher than normal occurrence of thyroid disorders in people with type 2 diabetes, with hypothyroidism being the most common.

When the diabetes and hypothyroidism are properly controlled with treatment the weight should automatically come off - of course that is with a proper diabetic diet and exercise. That is what I was told by family (hypo) diabetecs. On the other hand, we are not all alike.

Good Luck.
Blank
A related discussion, Response to michelle1688 was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now