Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hypothyroid symptoms adrenal symptoms TPO antibodies
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hypothyroid symptoms adrenal symptoms TPO antibodies

Hi, I've always suspected I have hypothyroidism due to years of the usual symptoms, but my TSH is always "normal".  I have been reading everything I can about thyroid problems for years.  Well, I finally had my FT3, FT4 and antibodies tested in June, 2013:

TSH:  1.02, (range:  0.34-5.60)  
FT3: 3.0, (range:  2.3-4.2)
FT4:  0.72, (range:  0.58-1.64)
TPO Ab:  98, (range: 0-34)
TG Ab:  <20, (range:  0-40)

I also have elevated liver enzymes.  AST:  95, (range: 4-44), ALT:  150, (range: 5-40)
And I had a SPEP done due to elevated globulin and it came back showing elevated gamma globulins (polyclonal gammopathy).
I have a fast pulse, over 100, and heart palpitations (strange because hypo usually causes SLOW pulse).  I was prescribed Metoprolol.  It brought my pulse down into the 80's.
Here's where it gets really strange:  I had some red patches on my shoulders and was prescribed Clotrimazole-Betamethasone cream for it.  When I started using the cream I immediately noticed a COMPLETE ELIMINATION of some of my symptoms:  For the first time in my life I was falling asleep and waking up early without an alarm, and only sleeping 7 hours a night instead of 10-12!  My blood sugar stopped crashing and I didn't have to eat every few hours,  my pulse came down into the low 60's and the HIVES I normally experience several times a day disappeared!
I'm  guessing this happened because of the corticosteroid in the cream.  Could this mean I have a cortisol problem?  Adrenals?  Pituitary?  Or could it be something else?  I don't have any diagnosis yet.  Thanks!  
97953_tn?1193367871
It is very common to have normal thyroid function with positive TPO-ab's.  Your symptoms are not likely thyroid.  Topical betamethasone should have little systemic effect, but you could explore the adrenal function with your doctor to confirm.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now