Hypothyroid without Hashimoto-what could be going on?
Dear Doctor,

I have written to you before. I am persistently hypothyroid (125 mcg Levaxine) with a nodule on the left lobe. I also have a persistently reduced cd4/c8 ratio (between 0,5-0,7) in PBMC (HIV-negative). I have taken two FNACs of the nodule, but it is apparently normal. My impression before was that I had Hasihmoto
There are times when there is no cause for the hypothyroidism -- FNA can help determine if there is any disease or infiltration causing it -- hashi should be evident on FNA (about 10% of hashi paitents have negative thyroid antibodies) and it's possible the FNA missed the lymphocytic infiltrate.  MUCH rarer causes would be hemochromatosis (iron overload), amyloidosis, sarcoidosis, fibrosis -- but we rarely see these.

The thyroid levels look okay -- if anything the TSH is a bit low suggesting that the levothyroxine dose may be slightly high.

Good luck with this.
A related discussion, Hypothyroidism and hemochromatosis was started.