Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hypothyroidism and radiation pill
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hypothyroidism and radiation pill

Three years ago, a doctor told me I had HYPOthyroidism, then gave me a radiation pill.  I have been on Levoxyl since that time.  My present doctor informed me that I must have had HYPERthyroidism to get a radioactive pill.  My medical papers state I had no cancer cells; everything was normal except my goiters (RT 7.7x1.7x2.6w; LT 3.5x1.3x1.6w).  Why would a doctor give a patient with HYPOthyroidism a radiation treatment?
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
Know of similar experience; diagnosis of hypothryroidism and scheduled for radiation; when told radialogist that did not think it was in order; upon checking about; said radiation treatment cancelled.  Very upsetting indeed.  And it could have been more than upsetting as it would then lower ones system dangerously and cause havoc.  Most doctors will not admit to this and just say nothing and go about treating one without any comment for fear of address (suit); but it does happen.  In the case known, no lawsuit, but person was indeed upset and not dependent upon doctor for knowing all; it pays to get info elsewhere and read up on whatever you have and be your own best advocate.
Blank
A related discussion, What side effects do you have from the radation pill? was started.
Blank
A related discussion, radiation pills was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now