Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hypothyroidrism and neck pain
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hypothyroidrism and neck pain

I was wondering if there is any relation between neck pain and being hypothyroid?  I did read somewhere that there could be a connection but thought that I would post this question. What do you do if it is connected?  I do not have a goiter. However, my face and neck was a lot fuller before I started the synthroid which has been about 7 weeks ago, and I am waiting for my labs to come back after the first 6 weeks.
Thank you and will look forward to your response.
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
Bette66, Hi,
Have they said you have Hashimoto's? Some people with Hashimoto's have a little pain with theirs but is rare to have significant pain because goiters, though uncomfortable, usually are swelling, without pain. The swelling can cause swallowing and breathing difficulties if severe enough but not much pain. Another condition that does cause a lot of pain with the goiter, is "Sub-Acute Thyroiditis" but this is a temporary condition of swelling and pain in the thyroid, caused by another infection in the body. I have a dull ache at times in my thyroid but not actual pain worth attention.
What I just said about goiter (general swelling) is the same for nodules (small growths), they too, rarely cause pain.
I've heard some Dr.s say you can have both Hashimoto's and spells of Sub-acute Thyroiditis.
You might go over these possibles with your Doc to see if he might want to do a Thyroid Scan (imaging). He may not think it's nessacary because they can tell a lot by palpation (feel).
I hope that helps.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker