Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
If you have thyroid problems does it affect your period??

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I had my thyroid tested a few years ago but I don't remember if the levels were high or low. Can anybody tell me how it affects your period? I've been having irregular periods, sometimes having my period from 2 weeks to a month, skipping a month here and there. The bleeding is always light though never heavy.
Before my hypothyroidism was treated I was getting my period only about every 4 months.  I was 33 at the time.
I think that if the last test you had was a few years ago, you should take another one.  Once, a person finds out that their thryoid is too high or too low, that's when one knows that they need to make sure they stay on top of that for their sake.  So, it's just a suggestion but I think you should take another test and see what they say and from there the doctor would be able to tell you if your thyroid is the thing that's affecting your menstrual cycle.  Take care.
Two years ago I went to the doctor because I hadn't had a period in 6 months.  I had taken every kind of pregnancy test and all came back negative.  I finally went to my doctor and she took blood to do some tests.  My TSH level was 56.  She made me do 2 more tests just to make sure the lab did not make a mistake.  The two after came back even higher.  So missing my period and gaining a lot of weight were my only indications that I had Hypoyhyroidism.
My thyroid broblems definately affect my periods. Depending on hyper or hypo they have been much heavier or non existent. When my meds are adjusted correctly they are normal. LL
Hi, I have just turned 20 this month. Ive had irregular menstrual cycles (heavy) ever since I first got them at the age of 14. I have an enlarged thyroid which my GP says is a goitre. Of late Ive observed extra facial hair on my face (so annoying) and my goitre appears to have swollen more looks like a little lump. On researching on the internet i found my symptoms very closely associated with thyroid cancer. Im so afraid at the moment. Im extremely active in sports like never before. I feel fit. I have to wait for a month before I can speak to the endocrinologist. But this wait is making me anxious and scared ...can somebody throw some light here? I feel like im sitting in a dark box!
I have Panhypopituitarism, which includes Hypothyroidism, so I have to take birth control pills as medication to make me menstruate. After I started my menstruation, I asked my endocrinologist if it was necessary that I have my period monthly, and he said it would be okay just to have it every 3 months because the only reason that women need to have their periods is to clean out the womb.
Don't worry too much about the possibility of surgery. I had surgery for cancer when I was 10, but for a whole year before, my mom and I would complain to my pediatrician about my symptoms. Apparently, that's when the tumor started it's growth. I had cancer in the pituitary gland (the master gland encompassed by the brain). When I did get the surgery, the whole operation took 9 or 10 hours. I'm 21 now, so I guess I'm a living testament to cancer survival. If you want to talk more about it, just email me at ***@****
Yes, your thyroid level affects your periods. Everytime my synthroid is increased - I have an early period. Hee, hee - that's how I know it is working!  Get your thyroid checked.
Before jumping to the cancer conclusion, look at Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome. It has many of the symptons described (including excess facial hair and problems with your period) Your endocrinologist can order tests to see if this is the problem.
A related discussion, likoria was started.