Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Indistinct hypoechoic nodule and lesion?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I got my thyroid us done 3 months ago and the results came back with a 7X5X5 MM nodule in the left lobe. Now the results came back with that nodule bigger at 8X5X5 MM and also a very questionable indistinct hypo/isoechoic lesion measuring 5mm in the right lobe. The thyroid is enlarged and inhomogeneous echotexture. Since my first test I was put on synthroid 25. Any thoughts on thoughts on this new lesion and why the first nodule grew?

My labs tests have been perfect throughout this except my SED rate (which ranges from 40-60). They have tested me for all of the common thyroid problems.

What are the chances this is cancer? My doctor was hoping that the syntroid would make the nodule smaller but it didn't and now I have a new thing on my thyroid...
You likely have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  The measurements are essentially the same -- only 1mm difference and this likely more is due to technical differences in measurement than growth.  Would test thyroid antibodies (TPO) to confirm Hashimoto's -- that is the likely cause of the ultrasound appearance and these nodules may well be "pseudonodules".  The thyroid condition does not likely explain the ESR (sed rate) -- whould recommend seeing a rheumatologist.