Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Inhomogeneous thyroid
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Inhomogeneous thyroid

I went for an ultrasound and the technician mentioned that I had what looked like an inhomogeneous thyroid.  I knew the technician so I asked if there was anything else they could see and was told there was nothing else, no lumps, swollen nodes, etc.  Can you have an inhomogeneous thyroid with nothing else presenting? Also, if you can have an inhomogeneous thyroid, can you have this with no cancer going on or would it always indicate cancer?
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
This is most likley Hashimoto's thyroiditis - would check TSH, TPO/Tg antibodies and consider evaluation with endocrinologist.  If there was no discrete nodule on ultrasound, the risk of cancer is very low.
5 Comments
Blank
Thank you for your quick response.  I looked up Hashimoto's thyroiditis and will mention the T3 and T4 testing to my doctor.  I do not have most of the symptoms listed but can say that I sometimes feel like I have no energy and I don't eat a lot but there is obviously some issue with weight gain.  Other than that, I have no swollen neck, no hair loss, no feeling of being cold, no tingling...nothing?
Blank
I am wondering though if I could have an under active thyroid and on an ultrasound would that show as inhomogeneous thyroid?
Blank
97953_tn?1193367871
Hashi is usually underactive thyroid - it shows as inhomogeneous on ultrasound.
Blank
A related discussion, thyroid nodule and ultrasound report was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now