Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Is Normal Thyroid Blood Tests More Likely Thyroid Cancer With Nodules?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Dr.Lupo,

Over a week ago I had my T3,T4,and TSH blood test,and they are all normal and I have the 3 small thyroid nodules,including the one that has grown 4mm in almost 3 years,that I'm getting another FNA at Upenn on April 18. My TSH is 2.35.I know you once posted to me a few years ago,that actually a somewhat high and high TSH was more common with thyroid cancer.

If can answer when you can I would appeciate it.

Thank You.
TSH of 2.35 is normal and would not indicate any increased risk.
I know there are many people who have had their thyroids removed because of large nodules that turned out to be benign and they didn't have any thyroid conditions,but I also know that most people with thyroid cancer have *normal* thyroid blood tests.