Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Is Soya ok????

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Is Soya ok????
Hi Dr. Mark...I am a 59 year old woman and I have been on thyroxine for 30 years plus.

I never lose weight even tho I eat healthily and I always feel tired and lethargic. I was advised to have soya milk instead of skimmed but now am being told differently!!!!!

Does soya have an adverse effect on us under active thyroid sufferers?

Do you think that I might need to raise my dosage of thyroxine.I am currently on 125

Thanks Rosie
High soy diets may increase thyroid requirements, but if you are on a consistent dietary intake of soy, then labs can be tested to see if you need an increase in dose.
Soyaoil and soya in butter and other products I believe must be the worst thing to eat" if hypothyroid.
It badly increases the inflammation process in the body and on the thyroid gland.