Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Is it better to be hyper or hypo?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Is it better to be hyper or hypo?

I have had a hyperactive thyroid for nearly a year and am feeling fairly sick most the time. If I have RAI (which my doctors has basically said i need to) I will almost certainly be hypo.
What is the point of swapping one for another? And hypo is apparently life-long. I think I would prefer hyper to hypo anyway.
Is there anyone who has been both or knows anything about why I sshould get rid of my hyper to go hypo?
I was hyper, Had RAI because I was told by my Drs. that it is easisr to treat Hypo that Hyper. With the Hyper I was tired all the time. losing weight to a point that I was looking as though I was on drugs. I had lost muscle mass the skin on my calfs seem to be just hanging there. My eyes were as white as snow on a clear day. Calcium levels had jumped to high. Found out the my bones were becoming brittal. My skin was turning darker. Had a problem with my urniary system. Just could not seem to make it to the bathroom. All this and breast cancer too. What a year this has been (LOL. Back to the thyroid. I was told about my condition in May I was then placed on a beta blocker. After seeing an endo. Was told by my Endo that I have to have had this condition much longer then I knew. Had blood work done, Levels where off the charts. had uptakes etc. all while still on beta blockers. Was on the beta blockers for 3 mos. have just begun taking synthroid after having the RAI. I am new very new to this condition. Told I will be on them the rest of my days. I believe I have made the correct choice. The problems listed above have begun to change. I am feeling better already. It seems I had been that way so long I didn't even know I was feeling bad until I begun to feel good. Sounds crazy I know. I now have a new birth control pill(synthroid) to take same time everyday for the rest of my days. I have fund this site. Things are looking up.
Hi there, Hyperthyroidism is the overproduction of the hormone that is needed to regulate your body, having the overproduction is more detrimental than the other way around. Yes, I suffer from hypothryroid, and I could understand how you wouldn't think any of this is any better, but I do know that with hyper, you are risking developing heart complications as well as bone problems, and have an increased risk of osteoporisis.  Aside from hyper symptoms of heart palpitations and the anxiety and such, it is just not fun.  It will be so much easier for them to treat you once you become hypo, and than once they find your proper dose, you will just stay on that and should feel fine, Just keep in mind, it may take several months for them to find that proper dose, and there is a high chance you might feel real yucky for awhile until they figure it out, but it will all be fine. Shannon
I am also hyper and looking at surgury on the  30th.  I am trying to find out if anyout has had the eye problems too. I know there is swelling behind my eyes causing them to bulge but the eye doc says they can't do anything until I do the thyroid surgury.  What are the chances that my eyes will improve without another surgury? Anyone know?
It's safer to be hypo than hyper in most cases - I agree with the comments above and you should procede with definitive treatment for the hyper even though that usually makes you dependent on replacement for life....

The eye issue is a serious one - steroids can be helpful, but stop smoking (if you smoke) sleep with 2-3 pillows (ie, elevate your head), wear sunglasses, use eye drops and bed-time eye ointment.  Thyroid surgery is not usually necessary to treat the eye disease - find an eye doc with experience in thyroid eye disease (easier said than done unfortunately....)
If you go to google.com and put in the search bar "graves disease" put it in quotes, there are sooo many sites. You could read for weeks!!
I know that left untreated it could lead to heart failure, irregualar heart beat, eyes disease and basicly pull your hair out and make you a mad mad woman the kind you see chasing around little kids with a broom just because they stepped on your grass. (You have to have humor in life or it will be boring and to stressful)
I have heard of people that has needed eye surg because of the bulging. I'm glad mine went down. I would wake up at night feeling like someone blasted sand in my eyes, and nothing would work to ease that pain. Take Care Nomes.