Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Is it possible to control your adrenal glands at will?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

People think I'm crazy when I describe this, so I wanted to clear it up once and for all.

I discovered at a young age that I was able to give myself a bodyrush and/or headrush at will.  Before you refer me to a psychiatrist, bear with me for a moment and I will explain.

Somehow, some way that I cannot begin to explain, I believe that I may be increasing my adrenaline output at will.  I have tested this theory by doing it with a BP monitor and my BP skyrockets to something like 170/100, and afterwards my heart pulsates intensly and my face and body feel really flush.   It's almost like an addictive adrenaline rush thru out my entire abdomen, or if I so desire, my head.   However, within the last year, I have developed a chronic daily headache syndrome and I am no longer able to affect this headrush as easily anymore (intense pressure headache, 24/7).    

Could I have damaged my blood vessels by doing this too much over the years, and harmed my cranial vessels in some way?

Have you ever heard of anything like this before?

Thanks for listening, and this post is dead-serious
Haven't seen voluntary adrenaline surges personally, but it may be possible.  High BP and heart rate can put stress on the blood vessels, so if you can control this, would try to avoid it.  

The concern may be an over-production of adrenaline -- screen by testing either plasma free metanephrines (blood test) or a 24 hour urine for metanephrines/catecholamines -- best collected during symtpoms.
I'm not sure what kind of response the Dr. will be able to give you on that one!
I will say that my 21 year old son, now married with a child of his own, has been able to do that exact adrenal-rush trick, since very young. He even did the proving it's effect, by using my BP monitor and could do same as you describe.
My opinion is that it's same exact difference a person gets from anxiety or adrenaline rides, like rollercasters etc..., back when I had anxiety symptoms with my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, I researched about anxiety and all the sites, including ones by Mental Health Institutes stated that even the severe type of anxiety (panic attacks), are "neither harmful nor dangerous", though very uncomfortable. Do a search on google.com or ask.com, using search words: "Anxiety neither harmful nor dangerous" and "Panic attacks neither harmful nor dangerous" and it'll list huge numbers of sites.
We're made to where adrenaline can only go so high and has limited potency however, tumors in the adrenal can cause this response to stay activated to point it does become dangerous but you would know if this were happening due to it being constant and unrelenting.
My opinion (un-medical)is you didn't cause damage and your symptoms have another cause.
It seems to be similar to biofeedback but instead of using the mind/body response system to bring about healing you're using it to cause a semblence of disease. It's very interesting.

I don't doubt if people can calm themselves down that they can rile themselves up :). A lot of people do it everyday they just don't realize it. A lot of feelings that result in physiological symptoms are a choice whether we realize it or not.

Kelly
A related discussion, can anyone else control there adrenaline? was started.
I first discovered I could release adrenaline when I was meditating. It feels like electricity running through my body and my heartrate and BP soar. It's like a switch in my brain I can turn on and off at will. Does this have somthing to do with the pineal gland in the brain?