Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Is my neck pain because of my hypothyroidism

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I have had quite severe neck pain the last 6-8 months and I have not yet been given any helpful answers. Is the pain in my neck because of my thyroid/goiters? I have recently had a scan because of the pain I have been getting and it has come back that my thyroid has enlarged since my 1st scan 2 years ago. I need to know whether the thyroid will keep enlarging? And whether I would benefit from an op??
This is tough to answer - would need to have an expert (endocrinologist and/or ENT) evaluate the scans and symptoms to determine if surgery is needed or if the thyroid is the likely cause of the neck pain.
hi shellzb88,

I have been feeling run down and sick for around 4 weeks
pain started in my thyroid around 5 days ago, hurts to turn my head, drink, eat, sing, the pain wakes me up at night. I have hashi, goiter, nodules, enlarged thyroid, my thyroid is larger then 3 years ago, my thoughts are with you. all the best

sonya
I have seen a specialist before and I did not receive any sort of medical opinion. I know nobody can guarantee the surgery working as I would like, but I wanted an opinion to help with my own decision. I have had 2 scans now but the specialist for some reason did not look at my second so no comparison was made. Thank you for your 1st reply.

I am trying to gather as many opinions and information as possible before I make my decision on whether to proceed with the operation or not.
Do you have an underactive thyroid? And If so when were u diagnosed with it? I have seen the doctor today because I have a reoccurance of a slight ear infection, which has effected my lymph nods - due to this the doc says I have thyroiditis as well! This is the 2nd time I've had this in the last 2 months and I am wondering whether every time I get a cold this will happen, I'm quire fed up! I am really considering having the operation as I hope it will help. All I can think is I've got nothing to lose if it doesnt work but a lot to gain if it does. Hope you start to feel better.
A related discussion, can anyone help was started.