Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Is surgery needed for Follicular Neoplasm

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hi, I have a nodule 3.8 cm and was told that once a nodule is 4cm, removal is recommended. I had the FNA that I was told would detect cancer, then the results came back inconclusive, as Follicular Neoplasm.  Question:  Is surgery required for Follicular Neoplasm or can the nodule be monitored over  a period  to see if it shrinks.  I am not in any pain, but am tired.
I think we already addressed this question, but now there is additional information of an indeterminate sample, with nodules of 4 cm with an indeterminate/follicular neoplasm cytology then usually we do recommend removal.    In some cases, molecular markers can be used either to avoid surgery altogether (however this is a relatively large nodule) or to help determine the extent of surgery (total versus hemi-thyroidectomy).  You should discuss this with your physician