Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Joint Pain

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Joint Pain

For the past several weeks I have experienced joint pain intermittingly.  Some days the aching is all consuming and other days it is completely gone.  Recently, the pain has localized to my wrists and ankles.  Most of the time it is in my elbows, toes, and fingers.  Is this a symptom of the hypothyroid disorder? I have taken Synthroid for over 10 years and my last blood work in July showed all levels were fine.  I also have vitiligo and am taking iron for anemia - under my doctor's care.  
While the low iron may be contributing, the underlying autoimmune disorders (vitiligo, anemia and hypothyroidism) point towards needing a rheumatologic work-up for joint pain for entities like Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus.  Both not common, but with the other immune system attacks, these need to be considered.
The low iron is probably contributing to the joint pain.