Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Knowlege Is Power!

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Knowlege Is Power!

Most of you have already heard me talk about my struggle in getting my Hashimoto's diagnosed, as many of you did as well. I've also talked about my wife having endometriosis surgery and a DNC, due to years of suffering severe yeast infections. We also had great problems with my daughter getting treatment for her Pectus Excavatum (curvature of spine/sunken chest). I am doing tremendusly better since optimizing thyroid med. dose. My wife was COMPLETELY cured by holistic suppliments and my daughter was finally tested to exclude heart/respiratory problems but my God, the struggles we had getting these things done! It was like walking a mile in quick sand. Now my mother-in-law is getting the old "patronizing Dr." routine after trying to get treatment for BP of 185/105 and he tells her to quit taking her blood pressure so often!
I just want to say again but maybe in a different way, that my passion to get out info. and my almost over-zealous replying etc..., is due to the above! Trust me I will calm down and level-out soon but right now, I almost look at the informing of other struggling people as a "revenge" for us and others, being downplayed on treatment for so long! I don't do this to look "knowlegable", I could care less about that! You don't know who I am anyway and likely never will (until Heaven LOL < I do believe that) but this has boiled in me for quit some time. I'll dwindle off here eventually, but in the mean time, I hope to inspire a few others with this same goal. I appreciate Med-Help for not kicking me off already! Thanks Everyone! I'll calm down with time.
JimLow:
Why would anyone kick you off of this site for caring and encouraging others?! You have experience(s) to share and probably help more than you realize. I read your posts to other people and always feel encouraged myself. You are intense but it comes from a good place, obviously. I also see your point in expressing the importance of gaining knowledge... we are SO LUCKY to be able to and we should do whatever we can to help ourselves. No patronizing dr is a match for this girl... I'll tell you that much and it just makes me feel stronger to see posts like yours. :)
Crackalyn, Thanks so much for your kind words. A couple of people were getting burnt-out with me and I picked up on this a while ago but I feel this forum, rather than being a social click of sorts, has far more value as an information resource. There are plenty of MSN Messenger etc..., type social forums out there not having to do with such serious information needing subjects as thyroid disorder, so when I see the desperate cries come in, for "help", I give it all I got! I also love to back up others who do this as I appreciate them doing for me! We don't run outta room here, so everyone should feel equal about giving imput.
Speaking of not running out of room, I read about your dads avoiding incorrect diagnosis and saving his own life! I want to add a couple more stories as to; Why the need for patient, self-advocacy! My dad-in-law died an early death 10 years ago, after complaining of moderate symptoms after mowing his lawn. He also complained of a tumor on the back of his head. They scheduled him for heart-valve replacement surgery but found a small mass in his lung during exrays. They said it was probably just scar tissue and to not worry about the tumor on his head either. He died within a few months of the sugery, after cancer spread throuhout his body. His kids inquired as to why the cancer wasn't further investigated and rather than answer questions, the Dr./Hosp. cancelled the bill! They knew this was admission of improper care and didn't pursue any further. My own mother almost died having a colon-scope (forgot name) proceedure. They started the routine test too soon after giving anesthesia and she was screaming; "STOP, I'm still awake"! They gave her more anethesia and her vital signs dropped (respiratory below 60%). A terrified nurse called my dad in to tell him what was happening but she survived, Thank God! The hospital called and opologised only after my mother complained to her regular DR.(An Excellent Physician)!
Just thought this might drive-in the need for careful attention by patients as to what their Dr.s are doing. Blind faith in Dr.s in my opinion is not wise.   Thanks again Crackalyn!
Hi JimLow: You are very welcome. I am sorry to hear about your father in law... that is EXACTLY what keeps me researching. Stories like yours (all of them, including the one you just wrote about your mom) and my own father's because the days when we could (if ever there was a time) have blind faith in drs is long gone. In fact, we had no choice but to have blind faith in the past but wo do now! That is what is great. There are some great drs out there but unfortunately (I believe) a lot of them are motivated by something other than wanting to save lives. And there are obstacles for the ones who do. My dad actually had a similar experience as your mom's when having his colonoscopy (I think that's what it's called). They didn't use any anethesia at ALL! :( My poor dad didn't even know that they were supposed to. He said it was the worst experience of his life. Had he researched that before hand he would have known and said "Hey! What the heck are trying do?!". Thank God his heart surgery was done properly by a very experienced surgeon and he experienced no complications and healed very quickly. But we all know that he is probably alive because of his own research. :)
It shouldn't amaze me to read these things, but still does. Unfortunately, there are many Drs out there that just don't pay enough attention, or simply don't care, or I don't know what's going on. I believe that to be a Dr you need to have special call - yes, like a vocation- because you're dealing with people's lives and really need to care. I have my own experiences as well, my mom died three years ago of lung cancer, unfortunately at the time I believed in her Dr who kept saying that her symptoms were due to her diabetes. When the cancer was finally diagnosed, it had already srepad to the brain and the adrenal glands (first places lung cancer spreads to). She died three days after that. I demanded an explanation from her Dr who just couldn't face us and sent to the hospital one of his associates. Then I tried legal action, which I couldn't pursue as unfortunately (regardless what people think) filing a malpractice lawsuit is extremely difficult, besides if your not so young then you can't claim loss of income, companionship, etc (I'm agains tort reform - it'd only benefit bad Drs and God knows we have enough of those). Finally, I files a complained with the state, whose been investigating now for over a year, I don't have high hopes, but my idea is it happened to my mom, it doesn't have to happen to anyone else. Since then I lost faith in Dr and started doing my own research. Unfortunately, I didn't do it early enough as had I done it, I woul've found that my mom's symptoms were classic of cancer, not diabetes. I learned the hard way.