Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Levoxyl and Yellow Dye

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Levoxyl and Yellow Dye

I was diagnosed w/Hashimoto's several months ago, increasing dosages of meds slowly.
Now, am I crazy, or is my Endo?  He says my constant aches and pains (since on 100 levoxyl)in collar bone/neck/shoulder/back are from the yellow dye in the pills.  He's changing them to pink pills instead.
Also, he says to stop eating salty foods(which I don't normally eat anyway)and that will take care of my bloated (small tree stump) legs.  The package of pink samples he gave me say "sodium tablets" on them.  This isn't the same as salt?
I wanted to talk to him about armour, but got "herded" out too fast.
Anyone ever heard of the dye thing?
Unlikely to be the dye -- not sure about the sodium tablets -- may be a placebo -- this would be odd to give someone in the office.  More likely it's "levothyroxine sodium" at the 112mcg dose.  If worried about dye - then take 2 of the 50mcg dose (white, dye free).  Armour is an alternative.  The bloating may be persistent hypothyroidism - in which case the dose should be elevated -- if this is the case, then would try 2.5 of the 50mcg to avoid any dye question (still unlikely to be a dye allergy).
Doreen, I had constant aches and pains when I was on T4 meds like you, and never got rid of them until I switched to Armour. There are folks on thyroid groups who stated that they had aches and pains on T4 meds as well. And the bloatedness is also common on T4 meds. The best thing that ever happened to me was moving, getting a new doc, and being put on Armour.....and being allowed to raise it until all symptoms FINALLY stopped--something which never happened on Levothyroxine.

Thank you for your comments... I guess I'll try the pink pills for the next couple of days and see how that goes (they are 112's).  My endo took some blood and said he'd check it then send me a new prescription by mail (not sure why he does it this way).  Hopefully I'll get it today.
I haven't received a copy of any of my tests yet... should he be giving them to me?  He's taken blood twice and did one ultrasound on my goiter (which has gotten smaller).
Thanks again.