Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Life after total thyroidectomy

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Life after total thyroidectomy
Is the"cure"world than the disease?  I have a small papillary cancer in my isthmus.  I am scheduled for a tt next week.  Will I regret it all my life?   Am I giving up a normal vibrant life for "being an invalid on thyroid replacement all my life and possibly never feeling myself again? Any tips for after tt or to feel normal or not to have the surgery?  Can it spead to the trachea if I dont have surgery?
There is a risk of local invasion and distant metastasis, but this is uncommon.  The current guidelines for biopsy of a nodule >1cm showing PTC (meaning a 98% risk of cancer) is total thyroidectomy.  Most patients do well with surgery -- the key is to work with a high-volume thyroid surgeon (more than 30 per year) to avoid surgical complications.  After surgery it may take 2-4 months to balance thyroid levels, but the vast majority of patients do well w/ levothyroxine replacement.
Thank you. I am having surgery on Thursday. Do I have to accept thst I eill put on weight and thst I will feel tired? For how long? Forever? Is it impossible to lose weight agter thyroidectomy? Is it safe if they say they need to keep me on the hyper side to keep thelignancy chances low? Thank you again.