Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Low TSH, Low T4

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Low TSH, Low T4
I wonder if you can help me sort the possible causes for low TSH (.29) and low T4 (.07) Three months ago, TSH came was 0.41 (with a normal range of 0.47-4.68) and T4 was within the normal range (0.8-2.2)

I have experienced extreme fatigue for almost five years. Ringing in ears started about three months ago. Fingers in both hands were numb for a month, then cleared. My major complaint is fatigue. There's just no words to describe it.

I am awaiting more test results and know that will shed light; however, I have made the mistake of trying to self-diagnose via the Internet... feeling stressed by the results of that effort.

Thanks for your time. I really do appreciate it.
In most cases, this is a normal thyroid profile perhaps with a tendency towards subclinical hyperthyroidism even though free T4 looks low.  The other less likely possibility is a pituitary problem.  A general endocrinologist would be the best person to help sort these tests out
Tests came back: TSH .37; T4 .8; T3 2.48.... doc says prob mildly overactive thyroid. Why not higher T4 then? And why do my symptoms align with hypothyroidism more than hyper?