Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Low TSH and infertility

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Low TSH and infertility

Hi Doctor,

I have very low TSH and is trying to conceive. My latest TSH is 0.044 and FT4 is 1.32 . My question is does the low TSH hinder one from getting pregnant?

My Endo decided to increase my MMI dosage from 2.5mg to 5mg per day so that my TSH can increase. I am concern that my FT4 will reduce and this is not good for someone who is trying to conceive. Too low a FT4 is not good for the baby. Pls advise.
With trying to conceive,in hyperthyroid patients, we keep the T4 and T3 in the high-normal range - which often means a low TSH, but ideally the TSH is above 0.1-0.2.
Also, current recommendations are to use PTU for the first trimester then consider change to MMI (methimazole).  Talk to your endo about this.