Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Low carb diet for hypothyroidism

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Low carb diet for hypothyroidism
Dr. Lupo,
I was diagnosed 14 months ago with hypothyroidism. My medication prescribed is synthroid. I am still in the process of getting my TSH regulated. I am dieting and exercising not only to feel better, but also to lose weight. I have done a very strict low calorie diet with 1200-1500 calories, and exercise everyday. I might lose 1 lb in 3-4 weeks that way. I have recently started a low carbohydrate diet with calories maybe 1500-1800 daily and 20 carbs maximum. My intake consists of vegetables, lean beef, chicken, pork and fish. I also eat eggs and 4 oz of cheese daily. I am losing weight on this plan. I had a headache at first, but it has gone away. I have more energy and sleep better, and have less aches and pains. I have lost 9 lbs, and want to lose about 30 lbs more. Is this safe and should I worry about any supplements.
Thank you for your time.
Stephanie
Should not be a problem from a thyroid standpoint.  The key to weight loss is long-term efforts -- would only do this kind of diet if you can eat this way long-term.  It seems leaner than Atkins, but usually will be very difficult to maintain a diet that avoids starches entirely.
I'm not a doctor, but I did do the Atkin's Diet (prior to becoming hypothyroid) and had great success with it.  I lost a lot of weight without feeling hungry, escaped cravings cycles, and felt great with lots of energy.  I've read several of Dr. Atkin's books, and he always insists on supplements being part of the plan.  Make sure you don't take iron or calcium supplements withing 4 hours of your thyroid hormone though.  Good luck!