Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Lymph nodes and Thyroid nodules

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Lymph nodes and Thyroid nodules

I am a 39yr young female, with a history of MS and Asthma. I resently went to my family doctor because of several swollen lymph nodes in my neck. I was put on antibiotics for 3 wks and had a CT scan.

Results: 7x10 jugular chain lymph node, Small cervical lymph nodes, Suspected submandibbular lymph node, External jugular chain lymph nodes are seen on the left inferiorly as well, 2 nodular densities at the posterior aspect of the left lobe of the thyroid as well as within the upper pole or the right lobe of the thyroid, thyroid ultrasound recommened for futher evaluation, parotid glands are normal. Also a 2x2 low density probable fluid collection within the interspinous region at C4-C5 level, either post surgical seroma or hematoma is considered.

I resently underwent surgery of the cervical spine due to auto accident. The nodes were there approx. 3 months prior to surgery, they are non tender with a rubbery feel, all are movable with the exception of 1 deeper node and have been consistant in size duing this time. I have had unexplained low grade fever ranging from 97.0 to 100 degrees daily for 4 months, night sweats, shortness of breath, itching and fatigue.

I put the night sweats off to maybe going through menopause early, the itching off as being allergic to something, the shortness of breath related to my asthma and the fatigue speaks for itself due to the MS . The only thing I can't explain away is the ongoing fever and the swollen lymph nodes.
Sounds like Lymphoma to me, What are your thoughts? Thank You for your patients and your thoughts........... Sue
Dear,Confused on your question about,Do you think it's lymphoma?I can't answer that for you,I am not a doctor.But I can offer you some advice.Fisrst of all,if you haven't told your doctor about fever you need to.Second of all you need to ask for a referall to a good endocrinologist,that is someone that just specializes in the glands.It never hurts to get a second oppinion especially when it comes to your health.Please let me know how you are doing.Take care of Your Self.GOD BLESS YOU.TNT406.
Thank you for your reply and concern. The reason my GP referred me to have an ultrasound and to see a general surgeon is because of all my symptons, not just the CT scan report. I see the surgeon Monday, do you think if recommended a biopsy should be the next logical step or should I have additional testing first. Thanks...........Sue
Dear,Sue a biopsy sounds like a good idea.That way you will know what your dealing with and so will you doctor.You never know your doctor might refer you to a endocrindologist if not you should ask.Because they specialize more in that area than a family practioner.Don't be worrying over something that hasn't been diagnosed yet.Calm down and take a deep breath.You need to think about the positive side to all things.Your getting it looked at and going to have it treated.GOD will take CARE of YOU have FAITH IN AND HE WILL HAVE IN YOU.GOD LOVES YOU SUE REMEMBER THAT ALWAYS.TNT406.
A related discussion, Reply was started.