Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
MRI for pituitary exposed a 'penial cyst'

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hi Dr. Lupo,

Thank you for your help regarding my thyroid issues in the past--I posted because of fluctuating TSH that hasn't gone below 1.58, yet high RAIU results, negative Tg and TPO antibodies, and a bunch of other unpleasant symptoms like swelling and tightness mainly on the right side of my neck. MRI for my pituitary gland came back normal for my pituitary, along with the bloodwork for FSH, prolactin, and "hormone" (not sure what this test meant and the nurse didn't know--maybe testosterone). Estrogen is still pending and TSH hasn't been checked since it was 2.77 on 7/3/08. My MRI with and without contrast did show an abnormality: "A thin-walled simple nonenhancing 13mm pineal cyst."

My question is: do you think this pineal cyst is in any way related to my thyroid problem and/or symptoms? I think you hit the nail on the head when you said my headaches and dizziness likely weren't related to my thyroid problems. Any recommendations for potential follow-up treatment of this newfound growth, or thyroid tests to consider, would be much appreciated. I'm planning on scheduling an appointment with a neurologist soon and I'm seeing an endocrinologist on August 5th. I can't seem to find much literature online about the relationship, if any, between thyroid disease and pineal tumors/cysts.

I'm a 22 yr old female, onset of symptoms in 4/08 that have worsened since then.

Thank you, again.

-Julia
No known link with pineal gland.

a slightly high RAIU does is not likely very significant and with the TSH levels the thyroid is not the likely culprit.

Most pineal cysts are silent and incidental findings - the neurologist will likely recommend a followup MRI to make sure it did not grow.
Sorry for the mistake in my title: it should read "pineal cyst".