Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Methylselenocysteine for Liver Support

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Methylselenocysteine for Liver Support

Questions: Has anyone tried using the supplement methylselenocysteine for liver support? In your opinion, is it a more effective supplement for hypothyroidism than selenomethionine? (I am currently on 25 mcg of Synthroid for hypo-t. I am using 200mcg of Selenium daily)

The claim is made that methylselenocysteine, an important co-factor of the antioxidant enzyme, glulathione peroxidase is the safest most bioavailable form of selenium commercially available. Dr. Lupo, what is your recommendation?
There is no definitive data on selenium and autoimmune thyroid disease, only a suggestion that it may help.  The different forms of selenium are synonomous but may vary in bio-availability but studies are limited (ie selenomethione is thought to be more bio-available [ie usable by the body] than selenite).  The JCEM 2002 article from Germany used 200mcg of selenite and showed a decrease in antibodies against TPO.

I am not sure about methylselenocysteine as the the most bio-available.  And selenium in general is a co-factor as you describe.
Sorry, re subject, I meant to type Thyroid Support for Liver Support
Thank you for your recommendation. It appears that Selenomethhionine is more bioavailable than Selenium.