Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Missing left lobe?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Missing left lobe?

Hello Dr.

I went to the doctor with my usual complaint...fatigue, hair thinning, low sex drive, heavy irregular periods.  
I'm sure he's sick of hearing it by now - he told me to try green tea!  Anyway...I have had a funny feeling in my neck, and after he felt my neck he sent me for an untrasound of the thyroid which revealed a 3mm cyst on the right lobe, a 4mm cyst on the right lobe, and nothing on the let lobe bc there IS no left lobe (weird!?)
I have had my TSH T3 and T4 checked - all normal ranges...but I'm curious - could the fact that I'm playing with less than a full deck so to speak explain my symptms or am I barking up the wrong gland?
If the thyroid levels are normal, then the thyroid is not causing the overall symptoms.
About 1 in 2000 people are born with only one thyroid lobe --- and usually it's the left that is missing.  It does not usually alter thyroid function.  The other 3-4mm cysts are exremely common (about 50% of people).
Avatar n tn
Not to alarm you, but my right lobe was not where it was suppose to be.  It ended up being found deep in my chest, below the aortic arch.  I had to have a total thyroidectomy as it was compressing my trachea.  It's rare, but sometimes they can move deep into the thoracic cavity.  I hope you don't have that condition.
Thanks so much for the answer - this puts my mind at ease - I did forget to mention that the right lobe is "mildly enlarged" (5.2 x 1.9 x 1.8 cm) and is "slightly heterogeneous.
Is that an typically indication of anything?