Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Mood Swings associated with Thyroid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Mood Swings associated with Thyroid

What is the standard test to determine if your tyroid affects mood swings?
What is this diagnosis called? How would one know if this was something that needed treatment?
Thyroid under or over-activity can cause mood swings -- there is no separate diagnosis for this.  Some may call it a mood disorder aggravated by thyroid dysfunction.  The standard test for thyroid is TSH & Free T4 -- if these are normal, it is unlikely the thyroid is aggravating the mood -- if not then it would be worthwhile fixing the thyroid problem to see if that helps the mood swings.
I'm a thyroid patient, in addition to other medical problems.
This post will seem strange to some, I think others will understand it. A very wise man once told his disciples that at times they would need to be "Wise as serpents but gentle as doves".  This means when you have important goals, you sometimes use what might seem unusual methods to get there, not taking away from the fact that deception which actually does hurt or injure, is always wrong.
How important is health? Let's put it this way; Without it, very little else matters, like wealth, fame or career.  The one thing that does always matter is family, being there for them and providing for them and this is where health is most vital, especially for a family man.
When you struggle to get answers in an area as important as health but the passiveness of "some" of the people who can provide them, keeps those answers out of reach, it can lead you to resort to those "wiser" methods.
What's in a forum "nickname"? It's really just a way to express yourself without giving out true indentity, especially when it's a policy not to.
As far as the way a person chooses to express their self, if it gets helps create more response to express in a slightly less intelligent way, at least the goal is being accomplished (freedom of expression). If in the world you get "slighted" a lot, when seeking answers on your very health, you can either roll over and say "I give up" or you can become even more determined.  I chose the latter.
No matter who you are, whether HashiMan, JimLow, or someone else, don't loose sight of what is most important, no matter what the obstacles are but make sure to help others along the way and cause no hurt to anyone as you do.
Remaining HashiMan, on this forum, never to change from this point forward,
Yours Truely.
I might add that my e-mail has changed twice in the past year, once due to going from dial-up to high speed DSL, the other due to re-location, so I took advantage of these changes didn't make them happen just to change registration (too expensive).
Thought I shouldn't remain registered under wrong info..
A related discussion, thyroid abnormality affecting mood was started.